Friday, November 4, 2011

2 months in Japan

So, it's now 2 months since I arrived in Japan.

I'm still not sure how to describe how I feel about being here. I don't feel settled, because I don't have a local job, or any long-term security. However, I'm not exactly on holiday either, because more than half my time here is spent in some semblance of domestic routine. I get up, I do cleaning, wash clothes, go for walks runs, cook meals. I'm becoming a regular housewife. It keeps me going - for now.

I'm also meeting new people every week. I've established a few local connections. I've been doing a couple of hours of private teaching each week, plus helping out some other local English enthusiasts who have been very hospitable in return.

And I've been able to travel a bit too. I've visited Osaka half a dozen times, Nara twice, and Kobe and Kyoto once. We've made plans to go to Malaysia / Singapore / Hong Kong in December / January.

I'm also studying - I've gotten one subject down closer to completing my masters. The plan is to have that done by next August.

Being November, I'm also engaged in NaNoWriMo. I've been a bit slow off the mark, but I plan to catch up quickly next week. Oh yes. I'm not planning to have the great Australian novel written, but hopefully it'll unclog my creative flow.

So, my life definitely feels like it's in transition. The wheels are in motion. I'm not sure where they'll take me, but it'll be somewhere. It's still scary not knowing what will happen next, but I can't say it's been too boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment